Chocolate Chia Pudding

Its that time of year! My oven starts to take a break and I get more and more into un-cooking. I also like to spend more time outdoors so “quick and easy” are paramount. And I would like to share with you one of my family’s favorite spring/summer dessert: Chocolate Chia Pudding! Chock-full of good fat, protein and yummy, creamy chocolate! My kids saw Giada DiLaurentiis on TV when we were in a waiting room somewhere and they wanted to do their own cooking show, so….here it is!

Yes, its the same Ch-ch-ch-chia pet that you grew up with (food grade though!). Its a potent seed from the plant Salvia Hispanica. And according to Dr. Andrew Weil, “In pre-Columbian times they were a main component of the Aztec and Mayan diets and were the basic survival ration of Aztec warriors. I’ve read that one tablespoon was believed to sustain an individual for 24 hours.”

So consider sprinkling it in your kids’ morning cereal (I do). It transforms what I consider a relatively nutritionally bereft breakfast (often lacking in fiber, protein and has way too much sugar) into something that will actually sustain your kids not only through to lunch but the whole day! I also put it in my morning smoothies.

I like it better than flax because it has a much milder flavor as well. “Chia is very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, even more so than flax seeds. And it has another advantage over flax: chia is so rich in antioxidants that the seeds don’t deteriorate and can be stored for long periods without becoming rancid. And, unlike flax, they do not have to be ground to make their nutrients available to the body. Chia seeds also provide fiber (25 grams give you 6.9 grams of fiber) as well as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, niacin, and zinc.

Another advantage: when added to water and allowed to sit for 30 minutes, chia forms a gel. Researchers suggest that this reaction also takes place in the stomach, slowing the process by which digestive enzymes break down carbohydrates and convert them into sugar.”

Hence this dessert. This is a perfect dessert, and a great option for diabetics. Again, desserts typically don’t have protein nor much fiber. This puts ooomph in your chocolate pudding. And I think the texture is fun, kind of like miniature tapioca.

So enjoy this recipe and start experimenting!

Chocolate Chia Pudding

Serves 4

1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 T maple syrup
1 T cocoa powder
1 t vanilla (optional)

Mix all ingredients until well combined. Refrigerate until it sets (about an hour). Enjoy!

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to Chocolate Chia Pudding

1. kate on March 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Great work Arto and Rio! Superstars:)

• Leah on March 23, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Thanks Kate! Let me know if they can do something for Yinzpiration! They are both hams and would jump at it :)

2. becky on March 23, 2012 at 10:20 am

Could they be any cuter? Also, are those Lego spoons?!

• Leah on March 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Haha, yes those are Lego spoons! :)

3. MEG on March 23, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Adorable they are! Thanks for that…yum!!!!

• Leah on March 24, 2012 at 8:21 am

Glad you guys enjoyed it Meg!

4. Lynne on March 24, 2012 at 5:20 pm

What a couple of cuties!
    I do have a question about the coconut milk. It looks thick, so is it the kind of coconut milk found in the dairy section next to the soy milk and almond milk, or is it the kind that comes in a can that is used for pina coladas?

• Leah on April 2, 2012 at 11:38 am

Hi Lynne — so sorry for the delayed reply — it is the kind that comes in a can. You can use the one in the dairy section but just increase your chia seeds slightly to get the same texture!

5. Farm to Table Pittsburgh | Sustainably, Kaity on March 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm

[...] Step Two was simply referred to as “Chocolate!” where she had her two adorable kiddos demonstrate how to make Chocolate Chia Pudding. [...]

6. 5 Tricks to Cooking Healthy | Biz Chicks on April 4, 2012 at 4:18 pm
  7. School Lunch Menu on August 31, 2012 at 11:47 pm

[...] by lunchtime. It doesn’t get much easier than that! Chia seed pudding is also very versatile, chocolate, fruit, the possibilities are endless. When liquids are added to chia seeds, they form a gel. This [...]

8. [...] by lunchtime. It doesn’t get much easier than that! Chia seed pudding is also very versatile, chocolate, fruit, the possibilities are endless. When liquids are added to chia seeds, they form a gel. This [...]

9. Chia Apple Carrot Muffin on September 12, 2012 at 10:54 am

[...] are high in soluble fiber, which is why they form a gel when soaked and makes an easy, no cook chia pudding in minutes or a egg substitute in vegan [...]