Posted by & filed under Recipes.

Today I bought a hand blender. I’ve never owned one and have always made do with my KitchenAid. Or my stick blender. Never really had a pressing need for a hand blender. Until today. My trip to the Farmers’ Market yesterday required me to make whipped cream. Required. That’s right. No, I don’t “want” to make whipped cream. I HAVE to. Have you seen all those berries?!? BEGGING for whipped cream. So I truly had no choice but to buy a hand blender. I can’t lift my 2000 pound Kitchenaid just to make whipped cream. Too much of a work out for dessert.

But this whipped cream is (of course) not your “redi” kind. Its not even your “heavy” kind. Its your coconut kind. Oh yes. Coconut whipped cream. Rich, luscious, creamy coconut whipped cream. Say how?

Here’s how.

Step 1. Regfrigerate your coconut milk until cold. Use full fat. Not the light kind. In fact, don’t ever buy the light kind. You’re just paying for added water (my favorite pastry chef, Fran Costigan, likes to remind me time and again).

Step 2. Open the can without shaking it.

Step 3. Spoon out the cream that rose to the top when it chilled. Do not throw the “water” left in the bottom. We will be making You can make drinks with it (posting shortly, I promise). Here’s the recipe!

Do NOT throw this out!

Step 4. Transfer to a bowl and whip! I add 4 tablespoons of maple syrup, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a generous sprinkling of freshly cracked black pepper. Most recipes will call for confectioner’s sugar, which is fine in a pinch but I promised you that I will only use whole ingredients! This is just as good (and better for you!) I also like the kick of black pepper, try it if you’ve never had icing or whipped cream this way.

Voila! Whipped cream that’s all yummy (no cholesterol, no refined sugar! — I let my kids have as much as they want with their berries.)

Top everything with it, ice cakes with it, mainline it.

Recipe for Strawberries in Balsamic Vinegar and Black Pepper (pictured) here.

(Recipe for the Strawberries in Balsamic Vinegar and Black Pepper can be found here.)

18 Responses to “How to Make Coconut Whipped Cream”

1. Fran Costigan

Hello lovely!
    Thank you for the shout out and repeating a simple but important Chef Fran-ism. Don’t buy low fat anything. Make your own. I spent money on quality, organic and fairtrade but comeon, water? Nope. About your whipped cream, do you ever encounter a can of full fat that won’t solidify or whip? I do, so I also have a pair and a spare. Comment sent from Amtrak on way to NAVS Summerfest!

• Leah

That’s great tip on the spare! But I have to stop making so much of it! It is soooo good. And because I sweeten it with maple syrup (and really not too much of it!) my kids get as much as they want! They are floored when I say that. LOL.

Have fun at Summerfest! That has to go in my calendar next year! AND you have to have a calendar on your website so I can keep track of you! :)

2. Len

Wow… this is really, truly good. Pictures don’t do this recipe justice. It doesn’t taste like coconut. It doesn’t taste like maple syrup. The taste is exactly the same as heavy whipped cream, but takes half as long to make. Awesome, thank you so much! I’ll be using this forever… *__*

3. Katie Q. Harvey

Trying this for the girls’ first birthday! You are such a rock star.

• Leah

It is to die for. I try to NOT put it on everything. Although I have mainlined it. :)

4. Jeanne Meyer

How much whip does one can make? Yes, Leah… I am making it today! Realized we have dinner plans with family tonight, so I made the peach pie last night so I can take it with us today.

So several questions: the first is, how many cans should I prepare?

Second, can I prep in advance or should I make it on site? Either scenario is possible, although we have about a 40 min drive to get to the in-laws.

• Jeanne Meyer

Oops… also, I was thinking about using almond instead of vanilla, what are your thoughts?

• Leah

Hi Jeanne! One can makes about 1 cup unwhipped and a scant 1 1/2 cups whipped. I would make two cans! The cans should be super cold so that the cream actually separates (the THAI brand does this really well). I would prep it onsite but keep the cans cold in transit! In this heat, I would also keep the metal bowl or bowl that I whip in cool :) Great with peach pie!!! Yum!!!

5. Maya

Hey Leah,
    Is there a sweet spot for whipping? How long? I bought some cans of whole coconut cream and am making it to go with your choc chia pudding for a vegan gluten free option for a friend’s bday!

• Leah

Judging from you FB post you figured it out! My answer depends on what brand coconut milk you have (they vary in cream thickness) and how cold it is! :)

6. Kelly

I can’t seem to get it whipped at all, it’s really runny. I beat it for about a half an hour. What am I doing wrong???? I didn’t put in any of the liquid coconut milk, just the thick cream…

• Leah

Oh no! What brand of coconut milk did you use? Also was it cold enough (kitchen or container to beat it in). You don’t need to beat it that long — maybe a couple of minutes maximum. You just want to incorporate a little air in the coconut milk. It won’t rise as high as dairy cream (you will need it help it along with some other ingredients to do that) but will rise as high as pictured…

• Leah

Hi Pat, unfortunately, not in this way. There is a WAY if you use gelatin or agar-agar but that’s another post ;)

7. Margie

Would love “printable” versions of your recipes! Enjoy the pix, but hard to copy & paste these spreadout versions!! Got suggestions??