Corn and Quinoa Fritters Recipe
And there it is. And I didn’t know it at the time. Like so many “lasts.”
The next thing I knew, I needed a sweater in the early morning. Its dark at 7:30. Hot baths feel good again. I start to smell cinnamon and nutmeg in the air.
The last days of summer…
But wait. There is still time. Enjoy the last of the summer harvest with this beautiful plate – and remember to savor each bite, because it will be another turn around the sun before the next summer….
- Tart Crust
Kernels from 3 ears of corn
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup brown rice flour or sorghum flour
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp – 1 tsp salt
- Combine all the ingredients, mixing the water in slowly until you have a batter that’s about the consistency of pancake batter.
- Let sit for a few minutes to let the batter thicken a bit.
- Heat a cast iron pan and spray with oil.
- With a large spoon, scoop some batter into the pan, fitting enough at a time so that there is space in between.
- Cook until the bottom is golden brown (about 4-6 minutes) then flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Keep warm in the oven as you are cooking the rest. Serve immediately.