Easy Japanese Noodles Recipe
The recipe below is really about the sauce. It’s a simple basic Japanese Noodles base called Mentsuyu. It is a mixture of konbu broth, soy sauce, mirin and sugar. You can make this sauce in bulk and store it in your fridge to dress any vegetable. It is good hot or cold. Perfect for this somewhat ambivalent spring weather.
The Easy Japanese Soba Noodles formula is – (1) Boil noodles (2) Lightly sauté the vegetables (3) Toss with sauce. The measurements are not so key except for the sauce. But then you can adjust the ratio to suit your taste.
You can also play with the vegetables. This sauce tastes great with almost anything. For this recipe, I used asparagus which is so abundant at the moment. I photographed two versions of it – one with tofu and one without. Basically, this is a mix and match dish. Which is perfect because you can play with what’s on hand.
Easy Japanese Noodles
- Tart Crust
8 oz. buckwheat soba
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 small onion sliced
2-inch piece of ginger, minced
3 cups asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces or 6 cups baby bok choy
3 carrots, grated
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced (you can use dried, soak to soften then slice)
- Optional ingredients:
1 block cubed tofu, pan fried
3 cups fresh bean sprouts
Fresh bean sprouts, raw
Sesame seeds or Gomasio
1 2×4 inch piece of konbu (dried kelp) – can be found at your Co-Op or at Whole Foods
2 cups water
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons mirin
1 tablespoon sugar
- Make the sauce: boil konbu and then simmer until stock is reduced to about 1 2/3 cup. Add the soy sauce, mirin and sugar and bring back to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Boil the noodles according to package directions. When done, drain and rinse with cold water to prevent from cooking further. Toss with sesame soil.
- In a wide pan, heat the oil then add the ginger and onions. Saute until onions soften a little. Add the rest of the ingredients and sauté until just softened.
- Toss noodles and vegetables together, dress with the sauce.
- Top with desired toppings.
- Serve hot or cold.