Vegan Potato Latkes with Wild Greens Recipe
These vegan potato latkes are simple to make, and you can easily add ANY wild green such as dandelion (tastes like watercress or arugula), chickweed, lamb’s quarters etc. It gives your latke an unexpected twist (AND a nutrient boost).
For more information on wild edibles and the amazing nutritional value you can get from them visit Food Under Foot. Go to your backyard, and before you run that weed wacker, harvest some greens that nature gave you completely gratis!
Vegan Potato Latke with Wild Greens
- Tart Crust
1 large potato, peeled, grated
1/4 onion, grated
1 T flax seed in 2 T warm water
1 T oil
1/4 cup flour (I use gluten free flour such as buckwheat or rice flour)
Handful garlic mustard chopped – use more if you want!
Large gloved handful of mixed greens
Olive oil or coconut oil for cooking
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl.
- Lightly coat frying pan with olive oil (rather than deep frying, you can also bake these at 375 til browned, 30+ minutes) Spread a tablespoon of batter into pan.
- You can increase the firmness of the pudding by adding more seeds.To serve:
- Cook on medium high (turning down if oil begins to smoke) for about 3-4 minutes until browned.
- Flip and cook another couple minutes.
*You can use your preferred milk or milk substitute.